Sunday, February 5, 2012

live music

I like this one.  This is Katie Marlier of "Rocky 4 Phoenix".

Trying to take pictures of musicians is hard.  The term "photograph" can kind of be translated from Greek to mean, "drawing with light".  So, photography is basically the art of capturing light.  All the settings on your camera and film are based on light.  How much light is hitting the film, how long should that light be exposed to the film, how sensitive is the film to the light. . .light, light, light.  So when you're at a concert and you're trying to get a good picture of a musician, it's super hard because the lights are constantly changing.  Constantly.  The musician is rarely standing still, so that makes it even hard to get a good composition, and if you get the composition right but the lighting guy decides to change the lights right when you take the picture, it's ruined.  Long story short (not very short actually), it's hard.  There's lots of bad shots for every good one you get.  Well, for me anyway.

Last night I was the photographer at a benefit, Concert For The Cause.  There were several bands, so I had plenty of opportunities to get cool pictures of all the musicians.  I'm not sure this is the best shot I got all night long, but when I was just going through them (really fast), I passed this one, then went back to it and stared at it for a second.  That's usually a good sign.  Even though sometimes I don't know why I'm staring, as long as I'm staring, I think someone else out there might also stare at it, which means no matter what the reason, it's a good picture.  So here you go, one of about 2000 pictures I took Friday night.

Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment