Monday, January 2, 2012

Exit 74 on I-40

Before I got married and had kids I used to just get in my truck and drive somewhere. . .if I saw a road that looked kinda dead-endish, I'd pull off on that road and take as many turns as I could and at some point just get out and walk around and start taking pictures.  Now that I have a family and jobs and all that, I can't do that as often.

Today me (my wife, Erika and I) were going to Jackson, TN to pick up our kids from the in-laws.  We met up at exit 80 but a little before we got there I saw a big old ugly barn on the North side of the interstate.  It was quite dilapidated.  It was huge, but most of it had collapsed. . .anyway, I wanted to stop by on the way back and get a picture of it.  When we came back, I got off at exit 74 (I believe that's Huntersville, TN) and tried to find the barn.  It ended up being tucked away in someone's back yard.  If I had the nerve, I would've asked them if I could take a picture of it, but I didn't, so I lost out on that.  It'll be there (maybe) next time. . .

So I continued down the road a bit and found another old building. . .took some pictures of it, nothing great. . .I was leaving and pulled into a field to turn the truck around.  It was really windy and I've always wanted to get one of those pictures of grass blowing in the wind.  With a slow enough shutter speed it comes out looking really dreamy. . .Well, I put my ISO on LO 1.0 (the equivalent of 100) and the slowest I could go with a decent exposure was about 1/30 second.  So this is what I got.  Not quite what I was hoping for but again, it gives me a reason to go out and try that again.

So I didn't get the old barn shot, and I didn't get the grass shot. . .there's always tomorrow.

Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment