Tuesday, January 3, 2012

WWW

I will eventually change the layout of this blog.  Of course, no matter when you're reading this, you won't know which layout (I'm so new that I don't even know if "layout" is the right word) I was using when I wrote this, so I'll go ahead and tell you.  It's whatever it starts off like if you don't choose any templates.  It's white with black text. . .blah blah blah. . .I know, I'm a disgrace!!


Here's a back line. . .In college, one of my majors (HA!!) was Management Information Systems. . .basically computers.  When people in my family had a computer question, they asked me.  And I usually knew the answer.  When my band needed a website (in 1997), I looked at other pages' source codes and learned HTML and made our website.  I was never great at website design and my HTML knowledge was 100% based on other websites that I saw, but I was kind of hip to what was going on.  Then all these pages started having this thing called JAVA.  I was like, "WHAAAAAT!!!???".


By the time I tried to learn XML and java and flash and all that crap, the band was playing about 4 or 5 days a week, I had a kid, a wife, random other jobs. . .long story short, I couldn't keep up with technology and I got so far behind with learning what was new and up and coming and hip that I totally lost interest in learning and keeping up with all that.


People still ask me computer questions and I can still impress them with my answers, but now the answers are all wrong.  It's just me trying to avoid saying, "I quit college to play guitar in a band and I have no idea how to answer your question.  Sorry.".


So. . .


Now the band isn't playing as much (close to none actually), and I'm really digging this photography thing.  However, anybody that's been in the photography business for any length of time knows that a huge part of being successful is being a good at the business side of things.  That's not one of my strengths.  So I've been reading books and watching podcasts and trying to figure out how I can become better at the business side of it.  One of the things I'm having to do is reacquaint myself with all the new and hip internet things.  I didn't know what a blog was.  I didn't know what an RSS feed was.  I'm not about to admit to all the things that I have ZERO knowledge of, but let's just say this. . .I've got a lot of work to do!!


All that was me explaining why I'm gonna change the look of my blog.  WOW.  And I didn't even have time to talk about the picture I was originally gonna upload.  So I changed my mind about the picture.  Given the nature of this entry, I created a funny little picture to kind of go along with it.  The one I was gonna use today. . .I'll just post it tomorrow.


Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment